(PLEASE NOTE THE DEADLINE FOR THIS SCHOLARSHIP IS APPROACHING QUICKLY: Wednesday, June 22nd)
Mayor Edwin M. Lee’s
African American Scholarship Award:
I Am the Future 2011
The 2011 African American Scholarship assists low income African American youth from within the San Francisco Unified School District who are committed to pursuing higher education.
WHO CAN APPLY?
Applicants must be African American and graduating seniors from a San Francisco Unified School District high school for 2011.
WHAT IS THE SCHOLARSHIP BEING OFFERED?
Scholarships will be awarded by the Mayor’s Office to be used at the college of your choice. Receiving this scholarship can affect your financial aid, so please check with your college or counselor.
HOW DO I APPLY?
Fill out the application form and submit it to the Mayor’s Office with a confirmation of your GPA, one letter of recommendation from a teacher or counselor and a typed 250-500 word essay. Students must submit the attached application completely with all components of the application by fax or email. The deadline for submission is June 22, 2011. Incomplete and/or late submissions will not be accepted. After receiving your application, you will be contacted by our office to schedule an interview with our committee.
RULES AND CRITERIA
- You must be an African American student that resides in the City and County of San Francisco.
- You must be a graduating high school senior in the San Francisco Unified School District with a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Completed Nomination Form with educator’s signature.
- You must submit verification of your cumulative GPA.
- All submissions must be typed, double-spaced, 12 font and no longer than 500 words.
- Write and submit a 250-500 word essay, on either: the obstacles you have overcome in the quest to reach your personal goals; OR: describe how your family history, culture or environment shaped you into the person you are today.
- Include your name and the title of your essay at the top right corner.
- Must be faxed or emailed; only one essay per submission. Please submit information to the attention of Tinisch Hollins, by email at Tinisch.Hollins@sfgov.org, by fax at 415.554.6474. She may reached directly with additional questions at: 415.554.6550.
Please see the attached documents for application requirements and the application form: